Cold wave claims five lives in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh continued to remain in the grip of biting cold with five persons succumbing to the chill in different parts of the state during past 24 hours.
While three persons, including a woman, died in Ballia district, one death each was reported from Maharajganj and Barabanki districts, officials said.
Normal life was thrown out of gear as dense fog enveloped most parts of the state, with Muzaffarnagar remaining the coldest place with a minimum temperature of 3.2 degrees.
Temperature remained below normal in various parts of the state including Varanasi, Allahabad, Kanpur, Agra and Meerut divisions.
Meanwhile, the Lucknow district administration has ordered closure of all schools upto class Eighth till January 5.
In Barabanki also, all schools will remain closed till January 10 as per the order of the district administration.
Urban Development Minister Azam Khan has directed the authorities to ensure arrangement of bonfires at public places and shelters for those living on footpaths during night hours.
The Met office forecasts that cold wave conditions will continue to prevail in the state, which is also likely to witness a foggy weather during the next two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan