Cold wave claims five lives in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh continued to remain in the grip of biting cold with five persons succumbing to the chill in different parts of the state during past 24 hours.
While three persons, including a woman, died in Ballia district, one death each was reported from Maharajganj and Barabanki districts, officials said.
Normal life was thrown out of gear as dense fog enveloped most parts of the state, with Muzaffarnagar remaining the coldest place with a minimum temperature of 3.2 degrees.
Temperature remained below normal in various parts of the state including Varanasi, Allahabad, Kanpur, Agra and Meerut divisions.
Meanwhile, the Lucknow district administration has ordered closure of all schools upto class Eighth till January 5.
In Barabanki also, all schools will remain closed till January 10 as per the order of the district administration.
Urban Development Minister Azam Khan has directed the authorities to ensure arrangement of bonfires at public places and shelters for those living on footpaths during night hours.
The Met office forecasts that cold wave conditions will continue to prevail in the state, which is also likely to witness a foggy weather during the next two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Thanks to natural forces, Antarctic temperature falls! But it's temporary
- I wanted to bat in the top seven for a long time, reveals Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ugly spat: Renuka Chowdhury reacts to Harsimrat Kaur's 'Kachra' allegation, calls it 'cheap political drama'
- Three suspects arrested in Florida for trying to join terror group ISIS
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries