Communal clashes in Meerut, 50 injured
Meerut: About 50 people, including a senior police officer and two media persons, were injured in a communal clash in Meerut Saturday, police said.
The incident occurred around 2 pm in Teer Gehran area when a group of people was installing a water facilitation kiosk near a mosque.
Members of the Jain community opposed the installation of the kiosk, saying it was near their temple too and the queue of people would disturb the peace of the premises.
But people from the other community did not agree and installed the water kiosk there, following which a scuffle took place between the two rival groups.
The scuffle blew out of proportion and people started shouting slogans against the other community.
Some vehicles and kiosks were set afire, and members from each side started pelting bricks and stones. There were also reports of firing.
Four people who were shot at during the brawl are reported to be in critical condition.
Following the rioting, shops were closed in the area, and heavy police force was deployed, an official told IANS.
When police reached the spot to control the mob, Superintendent of Police (City) Om Prakash Singh was injured along with some other police personnel.
Two camerapersons, who were trying to capture footage of the incident, were also injured. Their cameras were also damaged.
"Patrolling has been intensified, and police forces from other areas along with the Provincial Armed Constabulary and Rapid Action Force have been deployed to restore peace," Om Prakash Singh told IANS.
Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) AK Senger told IANS that tension was simmering between two communities for quite some time now and that resulted in Saturday`s rioting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’