Engineer shot at in UP, critical
Lucknow: An assistant engineer with the Uttar Pradesh irrigation department has been shot at by some unidentified assailants in Balia town, police said Sunday.
DP Singh was shot at in the chest at his residence late Saturday and his condition is stated to be critical, Superintendent of Police Omkar Singh told a news agency.
The engineer was rushed to a nearby clinic by neighbours and police but was later shifted to a hospital in Varanasi.
The assailants are yet to be apprehended. "We have registered an FIR (first information report) against unidentified people and efforts are on to nab the attackers," the police officer said.
Police teams have been constituted to work on the telephone details of the engineer prior to the attack, and round-up suspected criminals in the area. A team will also question the engineer`s colleagues Monday, Omkar Singh said.
Police suspect some old rivalry or departmental dispute behind the attempt on the engineer`s life.
Balia is around 650 km from the state capital Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire