Freedom fighter Hari Shankar Garg passes away
Moradabad: Noted freedom fighter Hari Shankar Garg passed away after prolonged illness at his residence here Friday evening, family members said.
He is survived by his two sons Giriraj Shankar, Raj Shankar and a daughter Lata Garg.
The 96-year old was the last freedom fighter from Moradabad. He was born on September 27, 1917 in Mohalla Begumsarai in Amroha district.
His father Lala Babu Lal was a treasury officer during the British rule. After the Jallianwala Bagh incident in 1919, he resigned and joined the freedom struggle.
Impressed by his father, Hari Shankar also joined the freedom movement at an early age. He participated actively in the Quit India movement.
As per his will, he wanted to donate his eyes and body. His eyes were donated to a local eye hospital but the doctors refused to take his body because of medical conditions.
His funeral will be performed today at Moksh Dham here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- After Zuckerberg, OurMine hacks Sundar Pichai's Quora and Twitter accounts!
- Black money window: CBDT issues fresh FAQs; PAN mandatory
- France opens manslaughter inquiry into EgyptAir crash
- BGR-34 - Ayurvedic anti-diabetic drug launched by CSIR!
- After Dalai Lama met Lady Gaga, China warns of his motives