Freedom fighter Hari Shankar Garg passes away
Moradabad: Noted freedom fighter Hari Shankar Garg passed away after prolonged illness at his residence here Friday evening, family members said.
He is survived by his two sons Giriraj Shankar, Raj Shankar and a daughter Lata Garg.
The 96-year old was the last freedom fighter from Moradabad. He was born on September 27, 1917 in Mohalla Begumsarai in Amroha district.
His father Lala Babu Lal was a treasury officer during the British rule. After the Jallianwala Bagh incident in 1919, he resigned and joined the freedom struggle.
Impressed by his father, Hari Shankar also joined the freedom movement at an early age. He participated actively in the Quit India movement.
As per his will, he wanted to donate his eyes and body. His eyes were donated to a local eye hospital but the doctors refused to take his body because of medical conditions.
His funeral will be performed today at Moksh Dham here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?