Freedom fighter Hari Shankar Garg passes away
Moradabad: Noted freedom fighter Hari Shankar Garg passed away after prolonged illness at his residence here Friday evening, family members said.
He is survived by his two sons Giriraj Shankar, Raj Shankar and a daughter Lata Garg.
The 96-year old was the last freedom fighter from Moradabad. He was born on September 27, 1917 in Mohalla Begumsarai in Amroha district.
His father Lala Babu Lal was a treasury officer during the British rule. After the Jallianwala Bagh incident in 1919, he resigned and joined the freedom struggle.
Impressed by his father, Hari Shankar also joined the freedom movement at an early age. He participated actively in the Quit India movement.
As per his will, he wanted to donate his eyes and body. His eyes were donated to a local eye hospital but the doctors refused to take his body because of medical conditions.
His funeral will be performed today at Moksh Dham here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know