Ganga recedes slightly, but still above warning level
Kanpur: The water level of river Ganga on Wednesday came down slightly, but continues to flow above the warning level and a little below the danger mark.
"The water level in Ganga came down to 113 metre and 30 cm at 9 AM today. It is flowing 30 cm above the red mark of 113 metres and 70 cm below the danger mark of 114 cm," Kanpur ADM (Finance) and the nodal officer for relief work here SP Singh said.
"Till last night, the river was flowing at 113 metres and 65 cm," he said.
"However, the administration is still at high alert as the sky is overcast since morning and there is a possibility of rains," he added.
Talking about the measures taken to deal with the situation, Singh said, "preparations have been done to evacuate nearly 20,000 people living in 30 villages around the Ganga in case the river breaches the danger mark."
"The evacuees will be shifted to six flood relief camps established by the government. Arrangements have already been made for food and lodging at these camps," he added.
"Eighty boats have been arranged for the evacuation of stranded people in case of flood. Also, police have been asked to be ready to deal with any security-related issues," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked