Ganga recedes slightly, but still above warning level
Kanpur: The water level of river Ganga on Wednesday came down slightly, but continues to flow above the warning level and a little below the danger mark.
"The water level in Ganga came down to 113 metre and 30 cm at 9 AM today. It is flowing 30 cm above the red mark of 113 metres and 70 cm below the danger mark of 114 cm," Kanpur ADM (Finance) and the nodal officer for relief work here SP Singh said.
"Till last night, the river was flowing at 113 metres and 65 cm," he said.
"However, the administration is still at high alert as the sky is overcast since morning and there is a possibility of rains," he added.
Talking about the measures taken to deal with the situation, Singh said, "preparations have been done to evacuate nearly 20,000 people living in 30 villages around the Ganga in case the river breaches the danger mark."
"The evacuees will be shifted to six flood relief camps established by the government. Arrangements have already been made for food and lodging at these camps," he added.
"Eighty boats have been arranged for the evacuation of stranded people in case of flood. Also, police have been asked to be ready to deal with any security-related issues," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez