Ghaziabad acid attack: Accused commits suicide in police custody
Zee Media Bureau
Ghaziabad: A day after being arrested for pouring acid on a woman, the accused in the case committed suicide in police custody on Saturday.
Lakhan Singh hanged himself in Vijay Nagar police station here.
He was arrested late Friday night.
Superintendent of Police Shiv Shankar Yadav had called a press conference at 2.00 pm to announce Singh`s arrest. Before he could address the media, he was informed about Lakhan Singh`s suicide and rushed to the hospital, where the accused was declared dead.
Lakhan Singh had on Friday thrown acid on a 22-year-old woman, working as a house maid. She sustained major burn injuries here after Lakhan threw acid at her face after she refused his proposal in Vijay Nagar area.
Lakhan Singh (30) had proposed to the victim two days back at her residence while her husband had gone outside for work. However, she rejected his proposal which angered the accused and he threatened the woman with dire consequences, SHO, Vijay Nagar police station, Virender Yadav, had said on Friday.
The incident occurred at Crossings Republik, a newly-developed township in Vijay Nagar.
The woman was returning home at about 8.30 am when the attackers threw acid on her. She suffered about 30 percent burn injuries on the left side of her face, chest and arm.
Police rushed her to a hospital, where doctors said she was stable. "The victim originally hails from Madhepura in Bihar," said the officer.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore