Ghaziabad acid attack: Accused commits suicide in police custody
Zee Media Bureau
Ghaziabad: A day after being arrested for pouring acid on a woman, the accused in the case committed suicide in police custody on Saturday.
Lakhan Singh hanged himself in Vijay Nagar police station here.
He was arrested late Friday night.
Superintendent of Police Shiv Shankar Yadav had called a press conference at 2.00 pm to announce Singh`s arrest. Before he could address the media, he was informed about Lakhan Singh`s suicide and rushed to the hospital, where the accused was declared dead.
Lakhan Singh had on Friday thrown acid on a 22-year-old woman, working as a house maid. She sustained major burn injuries here after Lakhan threw acid at her face after she refused his proposal in Vijay Nagar area.
Lakhan Singh (30) had proposed to the victim two days back at her residence while her husband had gone outside for work. However, she rejected his proposal which angered the accused and he threatened the woman with dire consequences, SHO, Vijay Nagar police station, Virender Yadav, had said on Friday.
The incident occurred at Crossings Republik, a newly-developed township in Vijay Nagar.
The woman was returning home at about 8.30 am when the attackers threw acid on her. She suffered about 30 percent burn injuries on the left side of her face, chest and arm.
Police rushed her to a hospital, where doctors said she was stable. "The victim originally hails from Madhepura in Bihar," said the officer.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September