Ghaziabad acid attack: Accused commits suicide in police custody
Zee Media Bureau
Ghaziabad: A day after being arrested for pouring acid on a woman, the accused in the case committed suicide in police custody on Saturday.
Lakhan Singh hanged himself in Vijay Nagar police station here.
He was arrested late Friday night.
Superintendent of Police Shiv Shankar Yadav had called a press conference at 2.00 pm to announce Singh`s arrest. Before he could address the media, he was informed about Lakhan Singh`s suicide and rushed to the hospital, where the accused was declared dead.
Lakhan Singh had on Friday thrown acid on a 22-year-old woman, working as a house maid. She sustained major burn injuries here after Lakhan threw acid at her face after she refused his proposal in Vijay Nagar area.
Lakhan Singh (30) had proposed to the victim two days back at her residence while her husband had gone outside for work. However, she rejected his proposal which angered the accused and he threatened the woman with dire consequences, SHO, Vijay Nagar police station, Virender Yadav, had said on Friday.
The incident occurred at Crossings Republik, a newly-developed township in Vijay Nagar.
The woman was returning home at about 8.30 am when the attackers threw acid on her. She suffered about 30 percent burn injuries on the left side of her face, chest and arm.
Police rushed her to a hospital, where doctors said she was stable. "The victim originally hails from Madhepura in Bihar," said the officer.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi