If needed, Will support demand for separate Bundelkhand: Beni
Jhansi: Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma on Thursday expressed concern over the backwardness of Bundelkhand region and said that if required, he would support the demand for a separate state to be set up there.
But Verma assured that were Congress to retain power at the Centre after the 2014 general elections, Bundelkhand would be made into a model of development for the country.
He was speaking at the inauguration of a steel processing plant in the Badagaon area here.
Verma said that with a view to providing greater job opportunities for locals, a steel yard and service centre would be opened in the region.
Local MP and Union Minister of State Pradeep Jain Aditya, who was accompanying Verma, sought the latter`s support in taking up the matter of states` reorganisation with the Congress leadership.
Bundelkhand is a geographic region in central India stretching across Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, with the larger portion lying in the latter.
Meanwhile, keeping up his attack on the Samajwadi Party government in UP, Verma said: "The SP government is a big problem which we all have to deal with... The laptop scheme is looting UP".
Talking about the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, Verma alleged, without taking any names, that those who had instigated riots were now dreaming of becoming the prime minister of the country.
He said he wanted to see Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi become the PM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read