Increase in power tariff necessary step: UP CM
Lucknow: Justifying the recent hike in power tariff, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday said it was necessary as the power department was running into losses.
"The power department is in loss...We want the (power) situation to improve...The hike will affect heavy power users and poor will be take care of," Yadav told reporters in reply to a question.
Holding the previous BSP regime responsible for the power crisis, Yadav said his government was working to increase power production.
The Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission had on May 31 approved a new power tariff structure, effecting a significant hike for domestic and commercial consumers.
Asked about the distribution of laptops to students who recently cleared standard 12 examinations, Yadav said these would be given as soon as the state receives the supply from the company engaged for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali