Increase in power tariff necessary step: UP CM
Lucknow: Justifying the recent hike in power tariff, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday said it was necessary as the power department was running into losses.
"The power department is in loss...We want the (power) situation to improve...The hike will affect heavy power users and poor will be take care of," Yadav told reporters in reply to a question.
Holding the previous BSP regime responsible for the power crisis, Yadav said his government was working to increase power production.
The Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission had on May 31 approved a new power tariff structure, effecting a significant hike for domestic and commercial consumers.
Asked about the distribution of laptops to students who recently cleared standard 12 examinations, Yadav said these would be given as soon as the state receives the supply from the company engaged for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie