Increase in power tariff necessary step: UP CM
Lucknow: Justifying the recent hike in power tariff, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Sunday said it was necessary as the power department was running into losses.
"The power department is in loss...We want the (power) situation to improve...The hike will affect heavy power users and poor will be take care of," Yadav told reporters in reply to a question.
Holding the previous BSP regime responsible for the power crisis, Yadav said his government was working to increase power production.
The Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission had on May 31 approved a new power tariff structure, effecting a significant hike for domestic and commercial consumers.
Asked about the distribution of laptops to students who recently cleared standard 12 examinations, Yadav said these would be given as soon as the state receives the supply from the company engaged for the purpose.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma