Indian sailor held captive by Somali pirates returns home
Meerut (UP): Saurabh Kumar, who was among the 28 Indian seafarers rescued from Somali pirates after their vessels were hijacked last year, returned home here on Monday.
A resident of Jaidevi area of the district, Saurabh was posted as a Cadet in a company in Mumbai.
Saurabh`s sister Mundresh told reporters that on March 2 last year when the ship was on way Egypt to South Africa it was hijacked by pirates.
A demand of four million US dollars had been made by the pirates for the release of captives but we are not aware whether the amount was paid to them or not, she said.
17 Indian seafarers on board the MT Royal Grace have been in captivity of pirates since March 2, 2012 and 11 Indian seafarers on board MT Smyrni were in captivity since May 10, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you