Martial arts training for girls in schools, colleges: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Amidst rise in cases of crime against women, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday directed that martial arts training for girls should be introduced in schools and colleges so that they can learn self-defence.
Yadav, who was reviewing the 24X7 1090 women helpline, asked Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan to make arrangements for providing training in martial arts to girls in schools and colleges from the next academic session.
The 1090 women helpline is a one-state one number service to handle cases of harassment by vulgar and abusive callers and stalkers.
"In the review meeting in which state police Chief A L Banerjee and ADG Sutapa Sanyal, in-charge of the women cell in the DGP office were also present, Yadav directed for effective and regular monitoring of women-related crimes," an official statement here said.
"Action in these cases should be taken promptly and with full sensitivity," the Chief Minister directed.
Stressing on the need of making the women helpline more effective, Yadav asked DGP Bannerji and ADG Sanyal to conduct surprise inspections at the office of the helpline, saying that this would also check the quality of work done by it, the statement said.
"The government has already issued instructions to officials to take prompt steps to maintain dignity of women and provide proper protection to them," it said.
The chief minister has issued clear orders to take strict action against all those involved in crime against women, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire