Martial arts training for girls in schools, colleges: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Amidst rise in cases of crime against women, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday directed that martial arts training for girls should be introduced in schools and colleges so that they can learn self-defence.
Yadav, who was reviewing the 24X7 1090 women helpline, asked Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan to make arrangements for providing training in martial arts to girls in schools and colleges from the next academic session.
The 1090 women helpline is a one-state one number service to handle cases of harassment by vulgar and abusive callers and stalkers.
"In the review meeting in which state police Chief A L Banerjee and ADG Sutapa Sanyal, in-charge of the women cell in the DGP office were also present, Yadav directed for effective and regular monitoring of women-related crimes," an official statement here said.
"Action in these cases should be taken promptly and with full sensitivity," the Chief Minister directed.
Stressing on the need of making the women helpline more effective, Yadav asked DGP Bannerji and ADG Sanyal to conduct surprise inspections at the office of the helpline, saying that this would also check the quality of work done by it, the statement said.
"The government has already issued instructions to officials to take prompt steps to maintain dignity of women and provide proper protection to them," it said.
The chief minister has issued clear orders to take strict action against all those involved in crime against women, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog