Mauni Amavasya: Two killed in stampede at Kumbh
Allahabad: Two persons were killed in a stampede at the Mahakumbh mela here today as three crore pilgrims converged for a holy dip at Sangam on the auspicious occasion of `Mauni Amavasya`.
The stampede broke out in Sector 12 of the mela area killing a woman hailing from Varanasi and a middle-aged man, who had come for a holy dip from West Bengal.
Sector Magistrate Abhay Raj said a few other persons received minor injuries in the stampede which had occurred this evening during rush among devotees who were returning from the river banks.
"The situation is under control and the injured are undergoing treatment," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list