Mauni Amavasya: Two killed in stampede at Kumbh
Allahabad: Two persons were killed in a stampede at the Mahakumbh mela here today as three crore pilgrims converged for a holy dip at Sangam on the auspicious occasion of `Mauni Amavasya`.
The stampede broke out in Sector 12 of the mela area killing a woman hailing from Varanasi and a middle-aged man, who had come for a holy dip from West Bengal.
Sector Magistrate Abhay Raj said a few other persons received minor injuries in the stampede which had occurred this evening during rush among devotees who were returning from the river banks.
"The situation is under control and the injured are undergoing treatment," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves