Minority group protests against `Vishwaroopam`
Lucknow: Activists belonging to the All-India Sunni Board on Friday held a protest demanding that the "objectionable" portions be removed from Kamal Haasan`s `Vishwaroopam` even as the film released in the state capital amidst tight security.
The demonstration, which followed Friday prayers at the Taqwayatul Iman mosque on Nadan Mahal Road, saw protesters chanting slogans demanding that "objectionable portions be deleted" and that the trilingual film be "banned from release in Uttar Pradesh".
Meanwhile, there was strong police deployment at theatres and malls where the film opened today although its morning screening could not go through due to a delay in the arrival of prints, sources said.
But its noon show went ahead as planned and there were no untoward incidents during the protest and at the cinema halls, they said.
Senior Samajwadi Party leader Ram Asrey Kushwaha had yesterday said that Haasan`s film could be banned in Uttar Pradesh if it was found that it "hurt the sentiments" of Muslims and indulges in "character assassination".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?