NHRC notice to UP govt on child marriage, low female literacy
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday issued notices to Uttar Pradesh government and Maharajganj district authorities over alleged rampant child marriages and low female literacy rate in the district.
The Commission issued these notices after taking suo motu cognisance of a media report which claimed that the district is one of the most undesired places for girls to live in as 73.6 per cent of females here are married before the age of 18 and the female literacy rate is merely 28 per cent.
The report also said one can find a child bride in almost every second home in various villages in the district and, particularly, in Pahuni village and adjoining areas near Indo-Nepal border, an NHRC statement said today.
Notices in this matter have been issued to the Chief Secretary, Uttar Pradesh and District Magistrate, Maharajganj asking them to submit reports in the matter within six weeks, the statement said.
The rights panel has also directed the authorities to conduct a survey in at least 8-10 villages near Indo-Nepal border in the district to find out whether the allegations of child brides made in the report were true and inform the NHRC about steps taken by the administration to prevent child marriages and empower the marginalised sections, especially women.
The Commission observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raise a serious issue of empowerment of the marginalised section of the society, especially women in Maharajganj district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy