No action against Nasimuddin Siddiqui: UP govt
Lucknow: The UP government on Monday told the
state Lokayukta that a CBI probe as recommended by it against
its minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui cannot be initiated as the
charges made against him were not related to any of his
decisions or approvals taken during his tenure as minister.
"It is not possible to take action as per the law on the
recommendations of the Lokayukta as there is no charge against
Naseemuddin on approvals granted by him or any of his
decisions and works as a minister," an official spokesperson
The government`s stand came four days after UP Lokayukta
N K Mehrotra recommended a probe by Directorate of
Enforcement, a wing of CBI, against Siddiqui and his wife
Husna, an MLC, for allegedly amassing assets disproportionate
to their known sources of income.
He had said inquiry into the assets of Siddiquis is a
clear cut case of money laundering which could only be probed
by a crime investigating agency.
Noting that charges of disproportionate assets do not
come under the its (Lokayukta`s) purview, the official said
the Lokayukta has been informed that he is not the competent
authority to probe such allegations.
The official further said such recommendations may lead
to "legal confusions".
He said the government has requested Lokayukta to inform
the complainants in the case that they are free to approach
the relevant competent authorities in connection with charges
against the minister of setting up an educational society and
evasion of stamp duty and other charges.
Meanwhile, Mehrotra said he has received an 18-page
letter from the government in this connection and would
comment on the issue only after going through it thoroughly.
The complaints against Siddiquis was lodged by Jagdish
Narain Shukla, who had accused the minister and his wife of
owning benami properties.
Chief Minister Mayawati has already dismissed six
ministers from her ministry on the recommendations of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says