Noida land scam: UP Govt asked to file counter affidavit on PIL
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday gave the Uttar Pradesh government two weeks time to file a counter affidavit on a PIL seeking dismissal of Principal secretary (appointment) Rajiv Kumar, who was convicted by a CBI court in the Noida plot allotment scam.
The order was passed by the bench of Justices Uma Nath Singh and Virendra Kumar Dixit on the public interest litigation(PIL) filed by senior journalist Sanjay Sharma.
On behalf of the state government, an order of the High Court was submitted in its Lucknow bench regarding suspension of Kumar`s conviction.
In his PIL, Sharma had alleged that the IAS officer was sentenced to three years imprisonment by a speical CBI court in Noida plot allotment scam along with retired IAS Neera Yadav and should be dismissed on the ground that a convict cannot be permitted to continue to hold a public office.
He said that the officer should be dismissed from service during pendency of the criminal appeal filed by him against his conviction and sentence awarded by special judge CBI on Nov 21, 2012.
The CBI special judge S Lal had awarded three year sentence to Rajeev and Yadav and imposed a fine of Rs one lakh each.
It was alleged that Yadav entered in a criminal conspiracy with 1983-batch IAS officer Rajiv Kumar, the then Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Noida to change the land use of a plot which was earmarked for a guest house and also increased its area in violation of norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM