Panel to oversee Lucknow metro rail project
Lucknow: A committee headed by Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Jawed Usmani will oversee the "formative steps" of the ambitious metro rail project for the state capital, officials said on Friday.
The project, aimed at easing traffic in Lucknow, will have 13 other officials, besides the chief secretary.
The departments of planning, finance, urban development, transport, housing, Lucknow Development Authority, police and traffic will be represented in the committee, officials said.
The committee would function until a special purpose vehicle (SPV) is set up to take over the project and detail its road map.
In February, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had given the green signal to set up a metro rail system for the state capital. This would be the most expensive public transport system in the state, providing speedy mass transport and decongesting city roads.
The committee is likely to oversee initial processes, and bids would be invited for a developer. After that, an SPV is expected to take over the metro project.
The Lucknow metro is likely to proceed on the lines of the metro rail project in Hyderabad, and would be taken up on a public-private-partnership (PPP) model.
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has already submitted a detailed project report to the state government in which estimated costs for the project were billed at Rs.12,500 crore.
While the DMRC has advocated underground systems, the government apparently is keen on the much cheaper overhead track system.
DMRC teams have twice visited the state recently in connection with the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?