Power tariff hike: Protests held across Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Opposition parties today staged dharnas against the power tariff hike in different parts of Uttar Pradesh, and submitted memorandums to the Governor demanding its immediate roll back.
Led by former UPCC president and MLA from Lucknow Cant Rita Bahuguna Joshi, Congress workers staged dharna and burnt effigy of the government.
They also handed over a memorandum to Governor B L Joshi demanding immediate roll back of the "anti-people decision".
The Congress leader said her party would continue to oppose the Samjwadi government`s decision to burden the people with the 26 per cent tariff hike.
The BJP`s city unit led by former MLA Vidya Sagar Gupta held a protest before the power department office and similarly submitted a memorandum to the Governor.
"The people of the state are facing problems relating to water and power. The government instead of solving them has increased the tariff," Gupta said, warning the government that the people can also unseat it if things continued in this way.
On the call of the CPI`s state council, protest dharnas were staged at different parts of the state and memorandum to the Governor were handed over through the district magistrates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO