Security tightened on eastern UP border following threats
Maharajganj: Security has been beefed up along the porous Indo-Nepal border areas in eastern Uttar Pradesh districts following incidents of alleged Maoist attacks on Indian carriers in Nepal.
"A strict screening of the people crossing the border and entering India is being undertaken by the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)", DIG, SSB RS Shekhawat told a news agency.
All religious places here are being closely monitored following reports that Pakistan`s ISI was using them as a base for infiltrating the country and carrying out anti-national activities, Shekhawat said.
Thousands of people cross into India from the porous borders in Shravasti, Balrampur, Siddharth Nagar, Maharajganj districts in the eastern part of Uttar Pradesh every day.
"An alert has been sounded in the border areas and a strict vigil is being maintained," he said.
Security agencies have been asked to ascertain the identities of people who cross over through the border to prevent Maoist activities in the area, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'