Sexual harassment case: Suspended AMU professor sent to jail
Aligarh (UP): Suspended chairman of Department of Law Aligarh Muslim University was sent to jail after his bail plea was rejected.
Professor M Shabbir`s bail plea was rejected by Additional Chief Judicial magistrate Vinay Kumar yesterday.
The matter is now scheduled to be taken up in the court of the Additional District Judge today.
Prof Shabbir was suspended in the first week of December following a charge of sexual harassment by a girl student.
He eluded arrest for four weeks before suddenly presenting himself before the court and securing interim bail earlier this month.
It may be mentioned that Prof Shabbir against whom an arrest warrant had been issued in mid December was granted interim bail on Jan 7 in the court of additional district judge after he had surrendered.
On December 3, the girl, studying LLM, had filed a complaint alleging that the professor had indulged in sexual harassment when she met him in connection with a project report.
The university authorities had referred the matter to the Women Complaint Cell and after its report, the professor was suspended on December 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea