Suspended IPS officer reinstated
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has revoked the suspension of IPS officer Rajesh Modak against whom a departmental inquiry is pending for allegedly beating three police followers during his tenure as SSP Mordabad, drawing a sharp criticism from the opposition parties.
Inspector General of Police (Crime) Ashish Gupta on Thursday said that Modak was reinstated on October 20.
Modak had allegedly beaten three police followers with broom at his official residence on September 21 for keeping a Samajwadi Party leader waiting.
Following which, the state government suspended the IPS officer on September 22.
Taking note of the conduct of Modak, UP Governor BL Joshi had asked the UP government to take suitable action against him following which a departmental probe was ordered against him, official sources said here.
"A departmental inquiry has been ordered against Modak to ascertain the fact of the entire matter. The government has however not appointed an inquiry officer to probe the case", IG Gupta had told reporters in reply to a question on October 22.
The opposition parties, meanwhile, attacked the state government over the official`s reinstatement.
BJP chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said normally an inquiry was conducted after suspension on the basis of which further action was taken. "But in UP, reverse is taking place," he alleged.
Pathak said that Modak was reinstated even before the inquiry started.
Senior Congress leader Akhilesh Pratap Singh said an officer`s influence proved superior to the Governor`s directive.
He said if orders were issued then an inquiry should be conducted. Any action would have been taken only after the report was received, the Congress leader added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past