Ten prisoners escape while being taken to court
Allahabad: Ten prisoners of Naini Central jail here on Monday escaped from the police custody while being escorted to a court, prompting the police to suspend four policemen.
The prison inmates were being taken to district court in a van from the jail, which is on the outskirts of the city, police said.
On the way to court, the inmates indulged in a fight.
The policemen, who had been assigned the task of escorting the prisoners, got out of the van and opened the door of the rear to bring the situation under control, a senior police official said.
As soon as the door was opened the prisoners shoved the policemen away and fled.
According to Senior Superintendent of Police, Mohit Agrawal, "A sub-inspector and three constables have been placed under suspension".
A case has also been registered in connection with the incident, the SSP said, adding, "the prisoners who have escaped were locals, booked mainly for petty crimes."
An intensive search has been launched to trace them, the officer said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler