Ten prisoners escape while being taken to court
Allahabad: Ten prisoners of Naini Central jail here on Monday escaped from the police custody while being escorted to a court, prompting the police to suspend four policemen.
The prison inmates were being taken to district court in a van from the jail, which is on the outskirts of the city, police said.
On the way to court, the inmates indulged in a fight.
The policemen, who had been assigned the task of escorting the prisoners, got out of the van and opened the door of the rear to bring the situation under control, a senior police official said.
As soon as the door was opened the prisoners shoved the policemen away and fled.
According to Senior Superintendent of Police, Mohit Agrawal, "A sub-inspector and three constables have been placed under suspension".
A case has also been registered in connection with the incident, the SSP said, adding, "the prisoners who have escaped were locals, booked mainly for petty crimes."
An intensive search has been launched to trace them, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender