Ten prisoners escape while being taken to court
Allahabad: Ten prisoners of Naini Central jail here on Monday escaped from the police custody while being escorted to a court, prompting the police to suspend four policemen.
The prison inmates were being taken to district court in a van from the jail, which is on the outskirts of the city, police said.
On the way to court, the inmates indulged in a fight.
The policemen, who had been assigned the task of escorting the prisoners, got out of the van and opened the door of the rear to bring the situation under control, a senior police official said.
As soon as the door was opened the prisoners shoved the policemen away and fled.
According to Senior Superintendent of Police, Mohit Agrawal, "A sub-inspector and three constables have been placed under suspension".
A case has also been registered in connection with the incident, the SSP said, adding, "the prisoners who have escaped were locals, booked mainly for petty crimes."
An intensive search has been launched to trace them, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!