Ten prisoners escape while being taken to court
Allahabad: Ten prisoners of Naini Central jail here on Monday escaped from the police custody while being escorted to a court, prompting the police to suspend four policemen.
The prison inmates were being taken to district court in a van from the jail, which is on the outskirts of the city, police said.
On the way to court, the inmates indulged in a fight.
The policemen, who had been assigned the task of escorting the prisoners, got out of the van and opened the door of the rear to bring the situation under control, a senior police official said.
As soon as the door was opened the prisoners shoved the policemen away and fled.
According to Senior Superintendent of Police, Mohit Agrawal, "A sub-inspector and three constables have been placed under suspension".
A case has also been registered in connection with the incident, the SSP said, adding, "the prisoners who have escaped were locals, booked mainly for petty crimes."
An intensive search has been launched to trace them, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Afghan President calls for joint action against terrorism, condemns Istanbul attack
- West Bengal madrassa board wants vocational courses
- Rio Olympic 2016: IOA taking steps to nullify Zika virus threat on Indian contingent
- Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016: Check rajeduboard.nic.in for BSER/RBSE 8th board result 2016
- Cong MLAs, Rashid stage walkout from J&K Assembly