Ten prisoners escape while being taken to court
Allahabad: Ten prisoners of Naini Central jail here on Monday escaped from the police custody while being escorted to a court, prompting the police to suspend four policemen.
The prison inmates were being taken to district court in a van from the jail, which is on the outskirts of the city, police said.
On the way to court, the inmates indulged in a fight.
The policemen, who had been assigned the task of escorting the prisoners, got out of the van and opened the door of the rear to bring the situation under control, a senior police official said.
As soon as the door was opened the prisoners shoved the policemen away and fled.
According to Senior Superintendent of Police, Mohit Agrawal, "A sub-inspector and three constables have been placed under suspension".
A case has also been registered in connection with the incident, the SSP said, adding, "the prisoners who have escaped were locals, booked mainly for petty crimes."
An intensive search has been launched to trace them, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?