Three `kanwarias` die in accident in Lucknow
Lucknow: Three `kanwarias` or Shiva devotees were killed Tuesday when a truck in which they were travelling overturned in Uttar Pradesh, police said.
Seventeen others were injured in the accident in Muzaffarnagar and admitted to a medical facility. Other furious kanwarias briefly disrupted traffic in the area.
An official told IANS that the truck was speeding. While negotiating a bend, the driver apparently hit a divider after losing control of the vehicle.
Thousands of `kanwarias` walk barefoot or hitch rides on vehicles to fetch water from the Ganga in Haridwar. This is used for worship in Shiva temples in their area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review