Three `kanwarias` die in accident in Lucknow
Lucknow: Three `kanwarias` or Shiva devotees were killed Tuesday when a truck in which they were travelling overturned in Uttar Pradesh, police said.
Seventeen others were injured in the accident in Muzaffarnagar and admitted to a medical facility. Other furious kanwarias briefly disrupted traffic in the area.
An official told IANS that the truck was speeding. While negotiating a bend, the driver apparently hit a divider after losing control of the vehicle.
Thousands of `kanwarias` walk barefoot or hitch rides on vehicles to fetch water from the Ganga in Haridwar. This is used for worship in Shiva temples in their area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists