UP STF arrests 3 for abducting government official
Lucknow: Three persons were arrested by the Special Task Force of Uttar Pradesh police in Agra for the alleged kidnapping of a senior central government official, a police officer said here on Sunday.
Satyendra Narain Singh, a joint director in Petroleum Conservation Research Centre, New Delhi, was kidnapped from Omega 1 Greater Noida area when he had gone out for a night walk on July 8, Additional Director General of Police Jagmohan Yadav told reporters here.
On the same night, the abductors called Singh`s wife Uma and demanded a ransom of Rs 2 crore for his safe release, he said.
On July 9, Uma lodged an FIR at Kasna police station, following which police and STF jointly undertook the investigation in the case.
Meanwhile, the abductors agreed to release Singh for a ransom of Rs 16 lakh.
"Singh was released by the abductors after Uma paid Rs 16 lakh yesterday and after ensuring that he was safe the police swung into action," he said.
The ADG said that the joint team arrested Sumit Pathak, his brother Shyam Kishore and Raj Kumar Tiwari from Agra last night. "Rs 9.23 lakh of ransom, vehicles and fire-arms were recovered from their possession," he said.
Yadav said that around 15-16 people were involved in the abduction and the mastermind was based in Etawah.
"We are trying to arrest the other people involved in the abduction," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed