‘UP to have 20% women constables’
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh is planning to have 20 per cent of its total constabulary as women in the next few years, a top state government official on Friday said.
"We already have a policy that stipulates 20 percent of the constabulary to be women. We are working towards that target. Right now it is much lower but shortly in a few years time, we will be able to come to that figure," state Chief Secretary Javed Usmani told reporters on the sidelines of a conference here.
He was participating in a conference of country`s top bureaucrats and police brass convened by the Union Home Ministry in the wake of the Delhi gang rape incident.
Usmani said that cases of sexual assault and rape will be put under "quick investigation" and the meeting also discussed lowering the age for juveniles to 16 as compared to the present 18.
"One of the ideas that came up in the meeting was that the age (for categorising someone as a juvenile) should be reduced from 18 to 16 but as I told you earlier it is not a view that has been firmed up earlier. It was one of the ideas that came up and it is for the committee here to take a view on that," he said.
"We will work towards quick investigation (of rape and other women harassment related cases) and we hope that the Government of India will help us set up fast track courts," he said.
He also added that the financial assistance of Rs 35 lakh and a job to the family of the Delhi gang-rape victim, as announced by the UP government, will be provided soon.
"It will be as quickly as possible.... I will check up on that (the aid) but whatever was announced will be provided very early," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried