Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is unlikely to attend Prime Minister Narendra Modi's programme in Noida on December 31, owing to the so-called "Noida jinx".
Here is detailed information about `Noida jinx`:
- The jinx started in 1988 when former chief minister Vir Bahadur Singh lost power within days of visiting Noida in 1988.
- In 1997, Mayawati lost power after visiting Noida.
- Earlier, in 1989, ND Tiwari and 10 years later, in 1999, Kalyan Singh suffered the same fate.
- In 1995, Mulayam Singh Yadav was out of power within months of his Noida visit.
- The last one was Mayawati, who lost power in 2012 Assembly Elections after she flew down to Noida in October 2011 to inaugurate the Dalit Prerna Sthal.
- In August 2012, CM Akhilesh Yadav inaugurated the Yamuna Expressway from Lucknow and avoided travelling to Noida. The following year, he inaugurated infrastructure projects in Gautam Buddh Nagar without visiting the city.
- In 2001, the then UP CM Rajnath Singh inaugurated the DND flyway from Delhi, but did not visit Noida.
- PM Modi is scheduled to visit Noida to lay the foundation of Delhi-Meerut Expressway on December 31.
(With PTI inputs)