Woman slips while deboarding from train; dies
Kanpur: A 40-year-old woman slipped while deboarding from a train at the Kanpur central railway station and got stuck in between the platform and train, police said on Monday.
Railway officials took over an hour to get her out and she was rushed to hospital, where she allegedly died during treatment due to shock, police said.
"Punam was trying to deboard the train before it had come to a complete halt. During this, she lost her balance and fell in the narrow gap between the train and the platform," station manager RN Trivedi said.
The area of the platform where the woman was stuck had to be broken and the steps attached to the rail boggie were also unscrewed to let the women out, he said, adding that the process took over an hour.
The victim`s mother and brother were also present on the spot when the incident took place.
No bruises were seen on her body but she had fainted due to shock, they said.
She was taken to a hospital where she died during treatment, police said.
Railway administration is probing the case and has appealed to commuters not to deboard or board from moving trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi