Youth commits suicide in Meerut police`s custody; 5 cops suspended
Meerut: A youth, arrested for allegedly kidnapping a 16-year-old girl, reportedly committed suicide in police custody on Monday.
Five policemen, including the police station in-charge, have been suspended by the SSP over the incident and case has also been lodged against them on the complaint of the deceased`s mother.
The SSP has asked Additional Superintendent of Police to inquire into the incident, police said.
Giving details, a police spokesperson said that on December 2, Sirajuddin had lodged complaint against unknown persons for abducting his daughter.
On the basis of the complaint, police had nabbed Appu on Sunday. Appu was found dead today in custody.
His postmortem was conducted by a three-member team of doctors, which said the cause of death was hanging, the spokesperson said, adding that the postmortem was also videographed.
Station in-charge Devendra Pal Singh, Yadram Singh, Arjun Singh, Head constable Bijendra Singh and Ishwar Singh have been suspended and case lodged against them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij