CM hands over compensation cheque to kin of rape victim
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Thursday gave a cheque of Rs five lakh to the family of the minor Dalit girl who was raped and killed in Pathri village of Haridwar district recently.
Bahuguna met the relatives of the victim in Haridwar and handed them a cheque of Rs 5 lakh besides announcing a total compensation of Rs 10 lakh to them, officials said here.
The Chief Minister`s visit to the holy city was planned hurriedly as people from different walks of life especially women and children held a candle light march on Wednesday evening demanding immediate arrest of the culprits.
The body of the girl bearing bite marks was recovered by her parents and villagers from a sugarcane field close to the village on Tuesday.
A student of Class VII in a government boarding school, the girl had come home to spend winter vacations with her parents.
No arrest has been made in connection with the case so far, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof