Cong, BJP should stop politicising Uttarakhand disaster: SP
Kolkata: The Samajwadi Party on Monday accused both the Congress and Bhartiya Janata Party of politicising the Uttarakhand flood tragedy.
SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav alleged that the UPA government was deliberately not granting the national disaster status to the calamity that struck Uttarakhand because it was averse to taking the entire responsibility of the relief work.
"The Congress and the BJP should stop doing politics over Uttarkhand disaster. So many people have died, hundreds are yet to be found and these two political parties are trying to score brownie points over each other," Yadav said while talking to reporters here.
Yadav accused Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for initiating politics over the disaster, which was followed by the Congress. Later on, Rahul Gandhi too did petty politics over the issue, he said.
"We feel that the VIPs should now stop visiting Uttarakhand as it will hamper relief work," Yadav said.
Yadav pointed out that the SP-led Uttar Pradesh government donated crores of rupees towards relief work in Uttarakhand, but never tried to do politics over it.
On granting `national disaster` status to the tragedy, he said, "The Union home minister is debating over the point in according a national disaster status when the Central government is already participating in the relief work."
"But any knowledgeable person would know that granting a national disaster status means all responsibility lies with the Centre, which should have been the case in this scenario. But it is trying to avoid its responsibility," Yadav claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani