Crisis in Vijay Bahuguna govt in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Crisis in the 15-month-old Vijay Bahuguna government in Uttarakhand deepened on Wednesday with five disgruntled Congress MLAs boycotting a meeting convened by him, triggering sharp criticism from the ruling party which dubbed it as an "insult" to the Chief Minister.
Bahuguna had called the meeting on Monday to hear their grievances after Congress MLA Harish Dhami threatened to resign last week if his complaints were not redressed within a fortnight, prompting four more party MLAs to express solidarity with him.
Rejecting the Chief Minister`s invitation for a meeting at the secretariat, the MLAs instead met state sports minister Dinesh Aggarwal, considered close to Union Minister Harish Rawat, at his residence to vent their grievances.
The boycott of Bahuguna`s meeting came close on the heels of Rawat, MP from Haridwar, camping here for three days at the behest of the Chief Minister to pacify the dissident MLAs and defuse the crisis.
Meanwhile, terming the boycott of the meeting by the five MLAs as an insult to the Chief Minister, Pradesh Congress spokesman Dhirendra Pratap today demanded that three of the legislators should quit the posts they hold in the government.
"They have no right to continue in office if they have no faith in the Chief Minister," he said referring to Mayukh Mahar, Himesh Kharkwal and Manoj Tiwari who hold cabinet rank posts in the government.
Mahar is vice-chairman of State Planning Commission whereas Kharkwal and Manoj Tiwari are Parliamentary Secretaries.
Interestingly, they represent constituencies located in Kumaon region, considered a stronghold of Rawat, who had nurtured the hope of becoming the chief minister.
Congress has 32 MLAs in the 70-member Assembly with three BSP MLAs, one UKD member and three Independents supporting the Bahuguna government. Opposition BJP has 31 MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore