Dera Sacha Sauda followers willing to wed Uttarakhand widows
Zee Media Bureau
Sirsa: Floods in Uttarakhand may have been a one-time event for many, but for the women who have lost their husbands in the disaster, it`s a lifetime agony.
In a bid to provide support to such widows, religious group Dera Sacha Sauda has come forward and said many of its followers are ready to marry these women.
Dera head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh announced on Tuesday that around 1,500 followers of the sect are willing to tie the knot with the Uttarakhand widows.
Singh said this after flagging off 33 trucks filled with relief material for Uttarakhand. His remarks were specifically in reference to the Deoli-Brahmgram village, which is being called a `village of widows` after many men belonging to the hamlet died in the floods and landslides that hit Uttarakhand last month.
"Many men of Deoli-Brahmgram had gone to Kedarnath for work on the fateful days. According to our information, many of them died as they were caught in the flash floods and landslides. Our motive is to rehabilitate the widows soon and a campaign has been started to search grooms for them. Those women who do not wish to remarry will also be helped to rebuild their lives," the Dera chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened