Facebook post sparks communal tension in Nainital
Dehradun: Communal tension broke out in Nainital district`s Ramnagar town after pictures hurtful to the religious sentiments of a particular community were uploaded on a social networking site, a senior police official said here.
Pictures with objectionable content were uploaded by a youth on Facebook, triggering tension late last night in Ramnagar as the members of one community gathered outside the Kotwali and hurled stones at the police station, Additional DG Ram Singh Meena told PTI.
Light clashes between members of two separate communities were also reported in the Ramnagar-Shivlalpur areas, he said.
However, there has been no report of any injuries so far in the clashes.
A 26-year-old youth, identified as one Rajeev, has been arrested for having allegedly uploaded the pictures on the social networking site, the ADG said.
The situation is under control in the area with prohibitory orders in place. The Provincial Armed Constabulary has also staged a flag march in the city.
"Our priority as of now is to restore order. We shall later start a search for those who engaged in stone pelting at the Kotwali and at some `chaurahas`," DIG (Nainital range), Anand Ram Chauhan, meanwhile, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA