Facebook post sparks communal tension in Nainital
Dehradun: Communal tension broke out in Nainital district`s Ramnagar town after pictures hurtful to the religious sentiments of a particular community were uploaded on a social networking site, a senior police official said here.
Pictures with objectionable content were uploaded by a youth on Facebook, triggering tension late last night in Ramnagar as the members of one community gathered outside the Kotwali and hurled stones at the police station, Additional DG Ram Singh Meena told PTI.
Light clashes between members of two separate communities were also reported in the Ramnagar-Shivlalpur areas, he said.
However, there has been no report of any injuries so far in the clashes.
A 26-year-old youth, identified as one Rajeev, has been arrested for having allegedly uploaded the pictures on the social networking site, the ADG said.
The situation is under control in the area with prohibitory orders in place. The Provincial Armed Constabulary has also staged a flag march in the city.
"Our priority as of now is to restore order. We shall later start a search for those who engaged in stone pelting at the Kotwali and at some `chaurahas`," DIG (Nainital range), Anand Ram Chauhan, meanwhile, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok