Facebook post sparks communal tension in Nainital
Dehradun: Communal tension broke out in Nainital district`s Ramnagar town after pictures hurtful to the religious sentiments of a particular community were uploaded on a social networking site, a senior police official said here.
Pictures with objectionable content were uploaded by a youth on Facebook, triggering tension late last night in Ramnagar as the members of one community gathered outside the Kotwali and hurled stones at the police station, Additional DG Ram Singh Meena told PTI.
Light clashes between members of two separate communities were also reported in the Ramnagar-Shivlalpur areas, he said.
However, there has been no report of any injuries so far in the clashes.
A 26-year-old youth, identified as one Rajeev, has been arrested for having allegedly uploaded the pictures on the social networking site, the ADG said.
The situation is under control in the area with prohibitory orders in place. The Provincial Armed Constabulary has also staged a flag march in the city.
"Our priority as of now is to restore order. We shall later start a search for those who engaged in stone pelting at the Kotwali and at some `chaurahas`," DIG (Nainital range), Anand Ram Chauhan, meanwhile, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Will Jennifer Lopez make tunes with Calvin Harris?
- This is how you can try contouring at home! Watch video
- Here's how Modi govt plans to bring back Kohinoor from UK
- Lindsay Lohan's dad confirms it's 'baby on board' for her
- Cricket in America: India-West Indies to play three T20Is in Florida in late August