Fasting `Save Ganga` activist held in Haridwar
Dehradun: `Save Ganga` activist Swami Poornanand Saraswati was Saturday arrested in Haridwar after district authorities failed to persuade him to end his fast to protest quarrying and stone crushing in the ecologically sensitive areas along the river.
Saraswati was arrested as he refused to end his fast despite his deteriorating health, Haridwar District Magistrate Sachin Kurve said.
"We had taken medical opinion on his health and doctors had advised him to end his fast immediately," he said.
Saraswati has been taken to a local court and further action will depend on its directions, he said.
The activist had been on a fast unto death since December 10 at Haridwar`s Matrisadan Ashram to protest resumption of quarrying and stone crushing in the ecologically sensitive areas along the river in alleged violation of the Ministry of Environment and Forest norms.
"As he declined to break his fast till the government withdraws its December 1 order allowing resumption of these activities despite repeated pleas by us, we had no choice but to arrest him," Kurve said.
A team of officials led by Haridwar SDM Arvind Pandey Singh had made an infructuous attempt to persuade Sarawati to end his fast yesterday.
Saraswati had shut himself in a room on Thursday to foil any attempt by officials to forcibly shift him to a hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next