Former BJP leader gets life term in rape case
Dehradun: Former Cooperative Bank Chairman and former BJP leader Pramod Gupta was on Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court in a five-year-old rape case.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Amit Kumar Sirohi also sentenced Gupta`s accomplice Ashok Kumar to 10 years` rigorous imprisonment in the case.
However, Pravin Kumar, the owner of the resort where the crime took place on April 19, 2008 was acquitted by the court.
The duo were convicted yesterday by the court after being found guilty of taking a girl in a car to Rajpur Resort on the pretext of getting her a job in the secretariat and raping her after offering her a drink laced with sedatives, Public Prosecutor G C Sharma said.
Gupta, a former chairman of the Cooperative Bank and his accomplice Kumar were both associated with the Pradesh BJP at the time of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar