Former BJP leader gets life term in rape case
Dehradun: Former Cooperative Bank Chairman and former BJP leader Pramod Gupta was on Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court in a five-year-old rape case.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Amit Kumar Sirohi also sentenced Gupta`s accomplice Ashok Kumar to 10 years` rigorous imprisonment in the case.
However, Pravin Kumar, the owner of the resort where the crime took place on April 19, 2008 was acquitted by the court.
The duo were convicted yesterday by the court after being found guilty of taking a girl in a car to Rajpur Resort on the pretext of getting her a job in the secretariat and raping her after offering her a drink laced with sedatives, Public Prosecutor G C Sharma said.
Gupta, a former chairman of the Cooperative Bank and his accomplice Kumar were both associated with the Pradesh BJP at the time of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...