Govt sets time frame for implementation of Jermain dam project
Dehradun: Uttarakhand government on Tuesday set a time frame to launch construction of the long awaited Jamrani multipurpose dam project on Gola river in Nainital, awaiting implementation since 1975.
Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar held a meeting with Central Water Commission chairman Rakesh Kumar and officials from Uttar Pradesh to chalk out a time frame for implementation of the ambitious project.
As per details worked out at the meeting, Uttarakhand Irrigation Department will address concerns the raised by the Central Water Commission on the project over next three days and a fresh detailed project report will be prepared by June 7, official sources here said.
The clearance for the first phase of the project will be procured from the Ministry of Forest and Environment in a month and the nod for second phase by July, they said.
The meeting was of the view that the project should be granted status of a national project and 90 per cent of expenses should be met by the Centre, sources said.
The remaining 10 per cent of expenses should be shared by Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, which will be sharing its waters too.
In case a dispute arises between the two neighbouring states over water sharing, the Central Water Commission will intervene, sources said.
The chief secretary said he will himself monitor the progress of the project on a monthly basis.
The 130-metre-high Jamrani dam was sanctioned on Gola river of Kathgodam area in Nainital district with an estimated cost of Rs 927.93 lakh in 2005 but its construction could not be started due to various reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez