Kedarnath shrine safe, everything else destroyed: Official
Dehradun: The ancient Kedarnath shrine has survived the devastating floods in Uttarakhand but virtually everything around it has been destroyed, an official of the temple committee said on Thursday.
"Call it a miracle but the Nandi statue and the other idols in the temple are intact," the official said.
"In fact, those pilgrims who were in the temple during the tragedy also survived.
"But the destruction all around the temple has been terrible," said the official, adding that the real death toll in the floods and cloudburst of the weekend would be much more than the officially stated 150.
But he admitted that the temple had suffered some damage.
The official said there was no trace of a large number of pilgrims who were either headed to or returning from the shrine, built by Adi Shankara around 1,000 years ago.
He said Ram Bada, located about seven kilometres from the temple, had been destroyed. So was the case with Gaurikund where there was a parking lot and a rest house.
"There were an estimated 5,000 people at Ram Bada when a cloudburst took place," he said.
"The shops and houses around Kedarnath temple have been either destroyed or severely damaged," said the official.
"From the reports we are getting, I don`t think the Kedarnath pilgrimage can restart for two to three years," he added.
According to the official, 1,000 to 2,000 pilgrims were rescued from the temple region on Wednesday. "The rescue operations are still going on."
Meanwhile, the Shri Badrinath-Shri Kedarnath Temple Committee has appealed for donations.
It said that due to heavy landslides and heavy rains, the route to both the shrines had been damaged.
"To overcome this natural calamity, the temple committee requests the devotees around the world to come forward (and) donate."
The Kedarnath temple is one of the most revered shrines in India and is visited by millions every year.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has said he was numbed by the magnitude of the tragedy. Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde Wednesday put the number of people stranded in Uttarakhand at some 62,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown