Modi government announces Rs 2 crore aid for rain-ravaged Uttarakhand
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat Government would provide Rs 2 crore to Uttarakhand administration for relief measures in the hill state, ravaged by rain, landslides and floods, and depute its officials to coordinate rescue works.
The aid amount would be provided to the Uttarakhand Government from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund. A decision to this effect was taken at a Cabinet meeting, presided over by Chief Minister Narendra Modi, today, a statement issued by the State Information Department said.
A helpline number (079-23251902) has been launched for Gujarat-based pilgrims and tourists who are stranded in Uttarakhand, the statement said.
Modi has also written a letter to Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge, urging him to attach additional coaches in Gujarat-bound trains from Haridwar, Dehradun and Delhi to ensure safe and early return of stranded tourists. He also demanded launch of special trains for the stranded people.
Modi appealed to Kharge to start emergency counters at Delhi, Haridwar and Dehradun stations to facilitate return of passengers and provide necessary information. Besides, people should be provided free food.
Earlier, Modi tweeted that a team of five Secretary-level officers from Gujarat have been deputed to Uttarakhand to coordinate disaster relief and rescue works in the northern state.
He said that he spoke to Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and assured him of all help in the relief operation.
The death toll in the rain and floods rose to 150 while thousands of pilgrims still remained stranded in the hill state, where a large number of Gujarati families are also stuck.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan