Modi government announces Rs 2 crore aid for rain-ravaged Uttarakhand
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat Government would provide Rs 2 crore to Uttarakhand administration for relief measures in the hill state, ravaged by rain, landslides and floods, and depute its officials to coordinate rescue works.
The aid amount would be provided to the Uttarakhand Government from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund. A decision to this effect was taken at a Cabinet meeting, presided over by Chief Minister Narendra Modi, today, a statement issued by the State Information Department said.
A helpline number (079-23251902) has been launched for Gujarat-based pilgrims and tourists who are stranded in Uttarakhand, the statement said.
Modi has also written a letter to Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge, urging him to attach additional coaches in Gujarat-bound trains from Haridwar, Dehradun and Delhi to ensure safe and early return of stranded tourists. He also demanded launch of special trains for the stranded people.
Modi appealed to Kharge to start emergency counters at Delhi, Haridwar and Dehradun stations to facilitate return of passengers and provide necessary information. Besides, people should be provided free food.
Earlier, Modi tweeted that a team of five Secretary-level officers from Gujarat have been deputed to Uttarakhand to coordinate disaster relief and rescue works in the northern state.
He said that he spoke to Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and assured him of all help in the relief operation.
The death toll in the rain and floods rose to 150 while thousands of pilgrims still remained stranded in the hill state, where a large number of Gujarati families are also stuck.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror