Namdhari faced 14 cases in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: As many as 14 cases were lodged against sacked Uttarakhand Minority Commission chief Sukhdev Singh Namdhari in various parts of the state, a senior police official said on Saturday.
"From murder to bullying his rivals into submission to establish his monopoly in mining business, there were 14 cases lodged against the former state minority panel chief, who is in custody now," IG (law and order) Ramsingh Meena said.
However, most of these cases registered against Namdhari in Rudrapur and Bajpur areas of Udhamsingh Nagar district were disposed of within a year after they were lodged due to his connections with "influential people", police sources said requesting anonymity.
In few cases, he was acquitted by the courts and in several others the police filed closure reports, they said.
Interestingly, his acquittal by the lower courts in many cases were never challenged by the police in higher courts.
Namdhari was close to Ponty Chadha for several years, and in the mining business in Uttarakhand he was known as the slain liquor baron`s "front man", sources said.
After Uttarakhand was created out of Uttar Pradesh in 2000, Namdhari was given mining leases which helped him establish his monopoly in the mining trade in the state, the sources said.
Over the last few years he had become close to politicians as well. He is said to have been close to the previous BJP government in the state but when he foresaw its defeat in the last assembly elections in the state in early 2012 he changed camps and became closer to the Congress.
Namdhari who was present along with Ponty at the time of the farmhouse shootout in Delhi last Saturday, was picked up for interrogation by a Delhi police team from his home at Bajpur in Udhamsingh Nagar district of Uttarakhand yesterday.
He was sacked just a few days back from the minority panel by the state government due to "doubts on his integrity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India