One killed, property destroyed in massive fire at Dehradun factory
Dehradun: One person was killed and property worth crores of rupees destroyed as a massive fire broke out at a plastic mat manufacturing unit in Vikasnagar area here on Thursday, police said.
The fire broke out at about 10 am and quickly engulfed the entire unit of Easy Mat Pvt Ltd, a plastic mat manufacturing factory at Selaqui in Vikasnagar area of the city, police said.
One person who worked in the factory was trapped inside when the fire occurred and was asphyxiated to death by the time he was dragged out of its burning precincts by fire fighters, an official at Vikasnagar police station said, adding no one was injured.
Though the exact cause of the fire is not yet known, a short circuit may have led to the blaze, he said.
Thick plumes of smoke and fire are still arising from the factory as more than a dozen fire brigade vehicles have been pressed into service to extinguish the blaze which continues to rage, he said.
All the equipment installed at the factory have been destroyed, he said, adding the losses caused by the fire could run into crores of rupees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know