One killed, property destroyed in massive fire at Dehradun factory
Dehradun: One person was killed and property worth crores of rupees destroyed as a massive fire broke out at a plastic mat manufacturing unit in Vikasnagar area here on Thursday, police said.
The fire broke out at about 10 am and quickly engulfed the entire unit of Easy Mat Pvt Ltd, a plastic mat manufacturing factory at Selaqui in Vikasnagar area of the city, police said.
One person who worked in the factory was trapped inside when the fire occurred and was asphyxiated to death by the time he was dragged out of its burning precincts by fire fighters, an official at Vikasnagar police station said, adding no one was injured.
Though the exact cause of the fire is not yet known, a short circuit may have led to the blaze, he said.
Thick plumes of smoke and fire are still arising from the factory as more than a dozen fire brigade vehicles have been pressed into service to extinguish the blaze which continues to rage, he said.
All the equipment installed at the factory have been destroyed, he said, adding the losses caused by the fire could run into crores of rupees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing