Rajya Sabha debates Uttarakhand tragedy
New Delhi: The Uttarakhand tragedy came up for discussion in Rajya Sabha on Monday with former chief minister Bhagat Singh Koshyari (BJP) alleging that the state government had failed to take appropriate and timely measures.
Koshyari attacked the Congress government in the state led by Vijay Bahuguna, accusing it of neglecting MET department`s warnings and not taking necessary actions which could have averted the heavy loss of lives.
"The incident happened on June 16 and 17. Before that the MET department had warned the state in advance of the impending danger. The state did not pay any heed," he said, adding around 10,000 people have either died or have gone missing as a fall out of the tragedy.
Koshyari also criticised Bahuguna for coming to Delhi on June 18 to congratulate a top party leader without paying attention to the ravaged state.
"Had the Chief Minister called the military on June 18, many precious lives could have been saved," he claimed.
The senior BJP leader said 3,000 devastated villages are to be connected and rehabilitated and there is a chance of them getting infested with Maoists if their problems are not addressed at the earliest.
He also demanded the tragedy to be declared as "National Disaster".
LJP leader Ram Vilas Paswan also spoke on the tragedy, but he could not be properly heard in the din over Telangana issue.
Amid uproar, the House was adjourned till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day