Seven killed as bus rams tractor-trolley in Dehradun
Dehradun/Saharanpur: Seven pilgrims were killed and 23 others injured when a tractor-trolley in which they were travelling plunged into a river after it was hit by a speeding bus here on Saturday.
The mishap occurred at around 2.30 pm on Doon highway, police said, adding the devotees were returning to Biharigarh in Uttar Pradesh`s Saharnpur district in the tractor-trolley after paying obeisance at Daat Kali temple here.
The driver of the UP roadways bus tried to overtake the tractor-trolley and hit it from behind on a bridge, causing the vehicle to break the railing and fall into a river.
The bus driver has been arrested, SSP Saharanpur, Vijay Yadav said.
Seven pilgrims died instantly, he said said adding the injured were hospitalised.
Out of the 23 injured, the condition of two was stated to be critical, Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes