Tiger, two leopards found dead in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: A four-year-old tiger was found dead at the Rajaji National Park even as two leopards were found dead in Kumaon and Garhwal regions of Uttarakhand.
The carcass of the big cat was found by a patrol team of wildlife personnel in Gauhri range of the Rajaji National Park here yesterday, park authorities said Friday.
Though the limbs of the tiger including its nails and teeth are intact, prima facie its death seems to have been caused by poisoning, they said, adding that a pig was also found dead about 600 metres away from where the carcass of the tiger was found.
Park authorities suspect that the pig was poisoned by forest dwellers living close to the park and the tiger died after preying on it.
A postmortem is being conducted and the viscera of the tiger has been sent to Barreily for examination which will ascertain the exact cause of its death, they said.
Out of the nine tigers at the park, it was the only one with reproductive powers with the rest of them being either too young or too old to procreate, park authorities said.
Hence, its death is being seen as a big loss for the park.
Meanwhile in separate incidents, two leopards were also found dead in Kumaon and Garhwal divisions.
A five-year-old leopard was found lying dead in a drain in Thalisain range of forests in Garhwal while an eight month-old leopard cub was found dead at Chitkal village near Gangolihat in Kumaon, forest official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'