Tirath Singh Rawat appointed as new Uttarakhand BJP chief
Dehradun: Tirath Singh Rawat has been appointed as Uttarakhand BJP President, ending a three-month long search for a leader who could captain the party`s state unit in 2014 General Elections.
Rawat, who comes from Sangha background and represents the Chaubatakhal (Pauri Garhwal) seat in the state Assembly, was named as the state BJP President by the party`s central leadership in New Delhi yesterday.
Since Bishan Singh Chufal`s tenure as Pradesh Party chief got over in November last year, Rawat`s selection has drawn curtains on a high decibel drama that marked the search by the party for a consensus candidate for the post.
After several rounds of discussions held by the central leadership with veteran party leaders from the state, including former chief ministers BC Khanduri, Bhagat Singh Koshiyari and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank, newly elected party chief Rajnath Singh approved Rawat for the post, sources said.
All these leaders were camping in Delhi ever since Rajnath Singh was elected as party president and the process to find a leader for the party`s state unit gained momentum.
But the changeover which took three months was not smooth, bringing to the fore factionalism in the party.
All attempts by party`s central election observer Vijay Goyal and Uttarakhand BJP leaders to find a unanimous leader to head the party in the State failed with both Tirath Singh Rawat and Trivendra Singh Rawat filing nominations for the post last month.
However, they withdrew their nominations following intervention by the central leadership which was keen on avoiding an election to the post in keeping with party traditions.
The search for a new leader for Uttarakhand also got delayed for reasons including the sudden death of senior party leader and former chief minister Nityanand Swami, Narendra Modi`s swearing in ceremony which kept party leaders preoccupied and finally the change of guard at the central level in the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH