Autopsy report on SFI activist Sudipta Gupta’s death today
Kolkata: The autopsy report on the death of Students Federation of India (SFI) activist Sudipta Gupta, who died when police allegedly used excessive force during a protest against the Mamata Banerjee government, is expected on Wednesday.
Leaders of the Communist Party of India-Marxist`s (CPI-M) student wing have alleged that 22-year-old Sudipta Gupta, an MA student in the Rabindra Bharati, died after being beaten up by the police.
Ritabrata Banerjee, general secretary of SFI, however alleged Gupta died in the heavy baton charge by police.
Police, however, said the activist died after he crashed into a lamp post while being taken to jail.
The incident occurred, yesterday, when hundreds of supporters of SFI hit the streets to stage a protest against state`s higher education department`s decision to stall students` union elections at all educational institutions for the next six months.
Witnesses say the activists were put in buses and were being taken to jail. Police allegedly used force to pull Mr Gupta off the bus. In the scuffle, he hit his head against an electricity pole, they say.
Gupta`s family has demanded that those responsible for his death be booked. "The people responsible should get adequate punishment," Pranab Kumar Gupta, the student leader`s father, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!