Autopsy report on SFI activist Sudipta Gupta’s death today
Kolkata: The autopsy report on the death of Students Federation of India (SFI) activist Sudipta Gupta, who died when police allegedly used excessive force during a protest against the Mamata Banerjee government, is expected on Wednesday.
Leaders of the Communist Party of India-Marxist`s (CPI-M) student wing have alleged that 22-year-old Sudipta Gupta, an MA student in the Rabindra Bharati, died after being beaten up by the police.
Ritabrata Banerjee, general secretary of SFI, however alleged Gupta died in the heavy baton charge by police.
Police, however, said the activist died after he crashed into a lamp post while being taken to jail.
The incident occurred, yesterday, when hundreds of supporters of SFI hit the streets to stage a protest against state`s higher education department`s decision to stall students` union elections at all educational institutions for the next six months.
Witnesses say the activists were put in buses and were being taken to jail. Police allegedly used force to pull Mr Gupta off the bus. In the scuffle, he hit his head against an electricity pole, they say.
Gupta`s family has demanded that those responsible for his death be booked. "The people responsible should get adequate punishment," Pranab Kumar Gupta, the student leader`s father, said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference