Autopsy report on SFI activist Sudipta Gupta’s death today
Kolkata: The autopsy report on the death of Students Federation of India (SFI) activist Sudipta Gupta, who died when police allegedly used excessive force during a protest against the Mamata Banerjee government, is expected on Wednesday.
Leaders of the Communist Party of India-Marxist`s (CPI-M) student wing have alleged that 22-year-old Sudipta Gupta, an MA student in the Rabindra Bharati, died after being beaten up by the police.
Ritabrata Banerjee, general secretary of SFI, however alleged Gupta died in the heavy baton charge by police.
Police, however, said the activist died after he crashed into a lamp post while being taken to jail.
The incident occurred, yesterday, when hundreds of supporters of SFI hit the streets to stage a protest against state`s higher education department`s decision to stall students` union elections at all educational institutions for the next six months.
Witnesses say the activists were put in buses and were being taken to jail. Police allegedly used force to pull Mr Gupta off the bus. In the scuffle, he hit his head against an electricity pole, they say.
Gupta`s family has demanded that those responsible for his death be booked. "The people responsible should get adequate punishment," Pranab Kumar Gupta, the student leader`s father, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today