Bengal-based chit fund owner arrested
Barasat: The owner and managing director of a North Bengal-based chit fund company was arrested at Shyamnagar in North 24-Parganas district for allegedly swindling depositors money, police said on Thursday.
"Prasenjit Majumdar, the owner and MD of Annex Infrastructure Pvt Ltd was arrested last night at Ramkrishnapally at Shyamnagar. He was hiding here for several days," Commissioner of Police of Barrackpore Sanjay Singh said.
Complaints of cheating and swindling depositors money were lodged against him in North Bengal and he was absconding, the police said.
The police seized from him Rs 72 lakh in cash, kept in three large cartons of biscuits.
Mainly people living in North Bengal, Assam and Tripura had deposited money in the company, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says