Bengal-based chit fund owner arrested
Barasat: The owner and managing director of a North Bengal-based chit fund company was arrested at Shyamnagar in North 24-Parganas district for allegedly swindling depositors money, police said on Thursday.
"Prasenjit Majumdar, the owner and MD of Annex Infrastructure Pvt Ltd was arrested last night at Ramkrishnapally at Shyamnagar. He was hiding here for several days," Commissioner of Police of Barrackpore Sanjay Singh said.
Complaints of cheating and swindling depositors money were lodged against him in North Bengal and he was absconding, the police said.
The police seized from him Rs 72 lakh in cash, kept in three large cartons of biscuits.
Mainly people living in North Bengal, Assam and Tripura had deposited money in the company, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH