Birbhum gang-rape: Bengal Governor wants corporal punishment for culprits
Kolkata: Condemning the gang-rape of a tribal woman in Birbhum district, West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Thursday said the accused should be arrested and given corporal punishment.
The 20-year-old tribal woman is in a critical condition after being gang-raped by 13 persons allegedly on the orders of a kangaroo court of tribals who were incensed by her relationship with a boy belonging to another community.
"We should have them (culprits) arrested and corporal punishment should be given to them," Narayanan told reporters when asked about his reaction to the incident.
In their complaint, the woman`s family said the incident happened after a meeting of community leaders who decided to "punish" her for having a relationship with a boy outside her community.
Apart from the 13 locals who have been slapped with charges of gang-rape and causing grievous injury to a woman, the youth with whom the girl reportedly had an affair has also been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof