Kolkata: A Calcutta State Transport Corporation bus carrying about 40 passengers caught fire Thursday morning near the crowded Deshapriya Park in south Kolkata where people had thronged for Durga Puja.
There was no casualty and the fire was doused before the arrival of fire tenders, Fire Brigade officers said.
Terming it as a "minor incident", Fire Brigade officers said the fire was caused due to an engine short circuit.
"There was no casualty. The incident occurred near Priya Cinema when a Ballygunge-bound CSTC bus from Howrah caught fire at 10:24 am. The fire was brought under control before the tenders reached the spot," a fire brigade officer said.
The incident, however, created panic as it happened on Ashtami, the peak day of Durga Puja festivities.