CBI probe into Saradha scam should uncover political nexus: Left
New Delhi: Attacking Trinamool Congress for opposing CBI investigation into Saradha scam, Left parties on Friday welcomed the Supreme Court directions for such a probe and demanded that the agency should uncover the "political nexus" behind the swindling of funds and associated money laundering.
Maintaining that the ponzy scam had affected thousands of depositors in four states, CPI(M) Politburo said "the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal has been doggedly opposing investigation by the CBI in the matter."
"The CBI probe should be able to uncover the political nexus behind this large-scale swindling of funds and the money laundering involved," it said.
The CPI(M) also demanded immediate confiscation of all assets of the Saradha group of companies and the owners and payment of interim compensation to all depositors.
In another statement, the CPI said the blocking of a CBI probe by the Trinamool government was "obviously motivated with the intention of protecting her own party people who are alleged to be involved."
Observing that the scam had affected several lakhs of poor people in West Bengal, Assam, Odisha and Jharkhand, CPI Central Secretariat said "by its very nature, CBI was the appropriate agency to investigate the fraud perpetrated," but TMC government had blocked the reference of the case to CBI.
"The Supreme Court has therefore done well in the matter referring the whole case to CBI," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!