Chit fund scam: Saradha group top official arrested
Canning (WB): A top official of ponzi scheme Saradha Group, who had been absconding for the past two months, was arrested at Purba Jadavpur on the outskirts of Kolkata, police said on Sunday.
Arindam Das alias Bumba was arrested while trying to flee from a place at Purba Jadavpur last night, the police said.
He allegedly swindled thousands of investors of South 24-Parganas district by not depositing the money in the head office of Saradha Group, sources said.
Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen also alleged that Das, as the main official looking after the deposit of money from investors in the district, stole the deposits.
An auto-rickshaw driver, Das would buy property for the chit fund company in the beginning and later allegedly stole the money, the sources said.
Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate of Baruipur, Debdip Manna remanded Das in 14 days police custody when he was produced before him today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre