Chit fund scam: TMC opposing CBI probe out of fear, says Congress
Kolkata: The Congress on Thursday said that the West Bengal government was opposing a CBI probe into the chit fund scam for fear that it would reveal information which would prove "dangerous" for it.
"TMC ministers, including the chief minister, are arguing against a CBI inquiry putting forward unreasonable reasons because of fear," WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya told reporters here.
"They know if a CBI probe is conducted into the chit fund scam, it will reveal some information which will prove dangerous for them," he remarked.
Opposition Left parties also demanded a CBI probe into the chit fund mess under a court`s supervision and a Left delegation today met the Prime Minister and the Union finance minister in Delhi in this regard.
Referring to the state government`s proposal of a social security scheme, Bhattacharya said, "We have seen private chit fund. We don`t want a government chit fund. We are very clear on this. If anybody tries to float it, we will oppose.
- LeEco bringing Le 2 and Max 2 series phones in India shortly?
- Why would I hug Arvind Kejriwal forcibly, is he a 'heroine'? asks Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Rahul Gandhi says 'happy to be targeted' as AgustaWestland deal continues to haunt Congress
- GOING VIRAL: Have you seen this 'love story' ad on PM Narendra Modi's ambitious 'Swachh Bharat' campaign? WATCH
- Transit of Mercury, May 9, 2016: Where, when and how to watch in India!