Chit fund scam: TMC opposing CBI probe out of fear, says Congress
Kolkata: The Congress on Thursday said that the West Bengal government was opposing a CBI probe into the chit fund scam for fear that it would reveal information which would prove "dangerous" for it.
"TMC ministers, including the chief minister, are arguing against a CBI inquiry putting forward unreasonable reasons because of fear," WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya told reporters here.
"They know if a CBI probe is conducted into the chit fund scam, it will reveal some information which will prove dangerous for them," he remarked.
Opposition Left parties also demanded a CBI probe into the chit fund mess under a court`s supervision and a Left delegation today met the Prime Minister and the Union finance minister in Delhi in this regard.
Referring to the state government`s proposal of a social security scheme, Bhattacharya said, "We have seen private chit fund. We don`t want a government chit fund. We are very clear on this. If anybody tries to float it, we will oppose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand