Chit fund scam: TMC opposing CBI probe out of fear, says Congress
Kolkata: The Congress on Thursday said that the West Bengal government was opposing a CBI probe into the chit fund scam for fear that it would reveal information which would prove "dangerous" for it.
"TMC ministers, including the chief minister, are arguing against a CBI inquiry putting forward unreasonable reasons because of fear," WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya told reporters here.
"They know if a CBI probe is conducted into the chit fund scam, it will reveal some information which will prove dangerous for them," he remarked.
Opposition Left parties also demanded a CBI probe into the chit fund mess under a court`s supervision and a Left delegation today met the Prime Minister and the Union finance minister in Delhi in this regard.
Referring to the state government`s proposal of a social security scheme, Bhattacharya said, "We have seen private chit fund. We don`t want a government chit fund. We are very clear on this. If anybody tries to float it, we will oppose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months