Chit fund scam: TMC opposing CBI probe out of fear, says Congress
Kolkata: The Congress on Thursday said that the West Bengal government was opposing a CBI probe into the chit fund scam for fear that it would reveal information which would prove "dangerous" for it.
"TMC ministers, including the chief minister, are arguing against a CBI inquiry putting forward unreasonable reasons because of fear," WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya told reporters here.
"They know if a CBI probe is conducted into the chit fund scam, it will reveal some information which will prove dangerous for them," he remarked.
Opposition Left parties also demanded a CBI probe into the chit fund mess under a court`s supervision and a Left delegation today met the Prime Minister and the Union finance minister in Delhi in this regard.
Referring to the state government`s proposal of a social security scheme, Bhattacharya said, "We have seen private chit fund. We don`t want a government chit fund. We are very clear on this. If anybody tries to float it, we will oppose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax